PAN Card Status: All Indian citizens who have the income source and valid proof are eligible to apply for a PAN card. A Permanent Account Number or PAN card is a mandatory requirement for all taxpayers in India. It is also important for an individual who needs to file an income tax return on the behalf of self or others.
What Is PAN Card?
PAN Card or Permanent Account Number is the Unique 10 Digit alphanumeric number issued by Issued to Taxpayers by the Income Tax Department. You are able to Apply for PAN Card through Protean eGov Technologies Limited or UTIITSL. The Application can be made either Online or Offline. The Concept of PAN was introduced by the Indian Government in the Year 1972. PAN Card is required to Track all the monetary transactions of TaxPayers. Under Section 39A of the Indian Tax Act of 1962, PAN Card is a Mandatory Document For Citizens in India.
Who Are Eligible for a PAN Card?
In order to apply for a new PAN Card, the individual need to fulfill some requirements which we are listing below:
- Only Indian citizens can apply for a PAN Card. So, they must show valid proof of identity such as their address and date of birth proof.
- The Hindu Undivided Families are a separate entity. Therefore, the PAN card can be applied in the name of HUF to enter into financial transactions.
- Minors can also apply for a PAN card, for which Parents can sign the form 49A on their children’s behalf. PAN card becomes a mandatory document for making them the nominee for property and investments in their name.
- Partnership Firms: A copy of the certificate of registration can be submitted to get a PAN card. It can be issued by the Registrar of Firms or a Copy of the Partnership Deed.
- Mentally disabled individuals can also obtain a PAN.
- Limited Liability Partnership: A copy of the Certificate of registration can be submitted to get a PAN card. It can be issued by the Registrar of LLPs.
- Trusts are also eligible for applying for a PAN card by giving a trust deed and a certificate of Registration number will be issued by the charity commissioner.
- Companies can also apply for a PAN card online. Before applying for a PAN card, the company needs to register with the state Registrar of Companies.
- After submitting a copy of the agreement, the local authorities also get eligible for getting a PAN.
- Association of Persons: Registered associations have to submit a copy of their registration certificate in order to get a PAN.
- Artificial Judicial Person: They are required to submit their registration certificate or government establishing identity along with the address of that person to apply for a PAN card.
What are the Benefits of a PAN Card?
A PAN card is an important document or requirement for performing a number of activities. Here are some of the things that you can do with the help of PAN:
- For filing income tax returns.
- PAN Card serves as proof of identity for an individual in India.
- For opening a new bank account as well as a depository account.
- You can apply for credit cards and bank loans with PAN.
- Any kind of payment to restaurants that exceed Rs.25000.
- Paying an amount of Rs. 50000 and more towards any purpose of investment.
- For any kind of jewelry purchase above the prescribed limit.
- Put an amount of Rs.50000 and more into your bank account.
- For selling or purchasing a car or any vehicle (other than a two-wheeler).
- To sell or purchase a permanent property with a worth of Rs. 5 lakh and more valuation.
How to Apply for a PAN Card?
Below here is the process for applying for a new PAN Card online by using the official website of NSDL:
- Step 1: At first, you need to open this link: https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
- Step 2: On the homepage, press the tab “Apply Online.” You’ll have to select the application type and category after that and then enter various fields of the initial registration form.
- Step 3: Once you do that, a token number will be generated. This token number can be used to fill the full form instantly or after some time.
- Step 4: If you want to fill out the application form afterward, then open the link and click on the “Registered User” option. In this step, you will be asked to provide your e-mail id, Date of Birth as well as the token number that you received earlier.
- Step 5: The full form is going to appear on the screen and you have to fill out your PAN Card application form online.
- Step 6: Now, you need to attach the documents required in this process and click on Submit.
- Step 7: At last, verify your details again and then click on Proceed to the Payment Button. You can even download and print your pre-filled application form which was generated after the payment.
How to Track your PAN Card Application Status?
There are three different methods through which you can track the status of your PAN Card application and those are:
- Via Call Service: You can make a call at the TIN call center i.e., 020-27218080. Provide the 15-digit acknowledgment number of your PAN application when asked.
- Via SMS Service: Send an SMS to ‘57575’ with a 15-digit acknowledgment number of your PAN application.
- Online Service: There are some service providers that will help you get the current status of your PAN application and those are by TIN NSDL, UTIITSL, and by E-Mudhra.
Can Foreign Citizens / Entities Apply for PAN Card?
Yes, Foreign citizens/entities can apply for a PAN card by using Form 49AA. Foreign individuals who want to make any financial transactions in India are also eligible to apply for a PAN card. For this, they will be asked to submit valid ID and address proof along with proof of their birth date.
For the proof of Identity, the foreign citizens have to provide their Passport/PIO card/OCI card and TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) or CIN (Citizenship Identification Number) which would be proven by the Ministry of External Affairs or High Commission, or Indian Embassy.
For the proof of address, they need to provide a Passport/PIO/OCI, TIN, or CIN, their Bank statement from the NRE, a Certificate of registration, and a few more documents.
Whether you are applying for a new PAN Card or a duplicate PAN Card, it can be done in both ways i.e., online and offline. If you are opting for the offline method, then you have to visit your nearby TIN-FC Center and need to submit the form physically. However, if you want to apply through online mode, then you can simply do it via several websites. With the online method, the real benefit is that you can apply for the PAN card anytime anywhere without putting many efforts.